We publish issues 2-3 times a year. Follow our social media to stay in the loop!
In/Words is now open for submissions.
17.2: A food themed issue. Send in your work surrounding food – the laughs, the cries, the critiques, the culture.
Please email in all submissions to email@example.com.
General Submission Guidelines
Please read our submission guidelines before submitting your work.
- Include your name and genre(s) in your submission.
- You may submit to multiple categories, and you can send all submissions in one email.
- Please include a third person bio, approximately 50 words (we won’t care if it’s a bit over). If your work is selected, the bio will be published in the issue as well, so please make sure it’s third person, or we will have to reject your submission regardless of quality.
- Include contact information, primarily your mailing address. If your work is selected, this is where we will be sending your contributor’s copy.
- Please submit in the formats specific to the genre you are submitting to. If your work is a hybrid piece that falls into multiple categories, just mention whatever ones you think fit.
- We accept simultaneous submissions, but please inform us as soon as your work is accepted elsewhere so we can remove it from consideration.
- We do not accept previously published submissions, but a piece published on your personal blog is fine, as long as you give In/Words credits should your piece be accepted!
Read our specific submission guidelines below.
- Poetry submissions are limited to 5 poems per poet.
- All submissions should be in .doc or .docx. PDF’s are difficult to work with during publication, however, feel free to include a PDF in addition to a document if you are concerned about formatting issues.
- There is no maximum length for submissions, but make sure every word counts in your poem.
- Prose submissions are limited to 1 per writer.
- All submissions should be in .doc or .docx. PDF’s are difficult to work with during publication, however, feel free to include a PDF in addition to a .doc if you are concerned about formatting issues.
- Prose submissions should be under 1500 words. As with poetry, every word counts.
- We prefer postcard stories, as they go best with our publishing technicalities.
- We prefer standalone pieces, but if you are going to submit an excerpt from a longer piece, make sure it can stand by itself in print.
- Visual submissions are limited to 5 pieces per artist.
- All submissions should be in .jpg
- We welcome all forms of art: traditional, digital, photography.
- Keep in mind that we print on half A4 paper, so choose work that fits best with that size.
- Pieces may need to be cropped or adjusted for publication. If your work is chosen, an editor will be in touch with you to get your approval of the final piece.
If you’d like your artwork to be considered for the cover, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- There should be space on your piece to put the In/Words logo and the title of the issue.
- We love covers that wrap around! For this, you’ll have to make sure your piece will look good folded in half.
- If your work is chosen, an editor will be in touch with proofs before publication!
- Even if your work is not chosen for the cover, it will still be considered for interior publication.
We recommend looking through a couple of our back issues to get an idea of the work we publish. However, keep in mind that the editorial team changes frequently, so don’t be deterred from submitting work you feel doesn’t ‘fit’ with what previous editors have chosen.
If you have any questions, check out FAQ, or shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org